Saturday, April 2, 2011

New kind of parenting

So this pregnancy has really got me. It has won. It has beaten me.

With Ali I was 20 years old, in my first year of marriage, transferred to a new college and new major, and walked a mile to a final on Friday and had her on Monday.


With Shadrach I student taught through 8 months of it and then dealt with the transition of being a stay at home Mom to Ali. (Ali didn't want to stay at home with me. She wanted to go back to Terri's house.- Just a few temper tantrums there)


With Enoch I already had two kids plus I watched another little girl for most of my pregnancy. I can't remember now when I stopped watching her.


With all three of the pregnancy, I still did all of the cooking, shopping, child rearing, and cleaning by myself no problem. Baby number 4 has got me. I can't do it all and it is so very hard to ask for help. First I am an emotional basket case, so I cry when ever I talk to anyone-- Even though I really am not that upset. Second I feel like a failure-Like I should be able to do it but just can't. This Last week I have done nothing but lie around the house. Greg has taken two half days off of work and a friend of mine has watched the boys for me a few of the days. When I have the kids at home, I have started this new style of parenting that I find really interesting. It is called "do what ever you want and eat what ever you want".


So Enoch has taken to washing all of his cars in the bathroom. He ran out of soap yesterday. (Thank Goodness!) It makes a mess but keeps him busy for hours. I let them eat a whole can of Pringles the other day for snack. It just wasn't worth it to let them have just a few or do a normal healthy snack. They were happy for a long time because of this. I also made a lunch that was chicken nuggets, fruit snacks, and brownies! They ate every bite. It made me laugh. Who cares about fruits and veggies? Who needs healthy protein?


I let Shadrach do what ever he wants. That really means he plays video games all day long. I think he has had the best week of his life. I don't make him do his school work or even his chores. It just isn't worth it. Now, I still get them dressed up to go play out side for some of the day. Thank Heavens for the fence and for the trampoline. they both still have quiet time. And Enoch still has to take a nap. But still, it is a whole new world of parenting that I have discovered. This next week is spring break. I am not sure what is going to happen. I have big plans, but I am not sure if I will be able to do those plans. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing. You watched her until May when I went on bed rest....and then you still watched her some days for me when I just couldn't do it because of the bed rest! I couldn't believe how well you handled it. I was going to call you this week to see if I could take Enoch for you for a couple of hours while you rested, but Dan left this week and the week got away from me. I'll give you a call this week and see if all 3 can come to play for spring break. Hang in there. Not much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile. You are awesome and I don't think a few weeks of that kind of parenting will do any lasting damage, so why not? :) There's nothing wrong with taking some time for yourself, relaxing and enjoying the moment, especially when you're pregnant and have three small kiddos at home! :) Go, you!

    ReplyDelete