Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Liam
























So I had a baby. My mom came over on Sunday and spent the night and then Greg and I got up Monday Morning at around 5:45 to head to the hospital. We got there at 6:30. We checked in and they took us to our room which was a different room then the one we went to with Shad and Enoch. People started moving right away. I was caught off guard. With Enoch there was two Emergency C-sections that got pushed in a head of me. So we waited more than 4 hours until we finally got through. And it seemed to take a long time with Shadrach too. But not this time. They actually walked me into the operating room 15 min. earlier than planned! I was really nervous. I think because I knew that if I died I was leaving behind a lot of people who depend on me. I calmed down a little bit once the surgery got going and people started to talk about things. I always like to be distracted by conversation so I am not thinking about all my insides being taken out of my body. Then Liam was born and he cried right away. With my first three kids, it always seemed to take forever for them to cry and I would just hold my breath. I didn't get to see him at all for the first 15 to 20 min. That is normal. I have never gotten to see any of my children for the first 15 min., but I can hear them some where in the room. This time it seemed to take them a little bit longer to "fix me back up." And I felt some weird kind of "pain." It is really hard to describe because I have so much medication in me it didn't feel like pain but it didn't feel right. I got a little bit nervous again when all of that was going on. I think the anastesialogist did something that made it better. My doctor told me a little bit later that my stomach had adhered to my uterus and he had just detached it. I think that was what all the weird pain was from. (This also explains why for the last three weeks of my pregnancy I would throw up all of the time. When ever I would have braxton hicks contractions, it would contract my stomach too making me throw up.) Soon they wheeled me into the recovery room. Liam was doing great! It was wonderful. They were just about to wheel me upstairs to my new room, but they couldn't get the thermometer to work right. So they got another one. And then another one. Finally they realized that the thermometers were working but my temperature was just 94.1 degrees. Apparently that isn't supposed to be possible. So they immediately got a really awesome warming blanket. It was very nice and warm. I was sweating buckets. They think that was why my temperature was so low, but they didn't know why I was sweating so much. They changed my hospital gown 4 times in 2 hours because it was so drenched with sweat. Finally I think the recovery nurses got tired of waiting for me to warm up ( it was lunch time), so they put the thermometer under my arm which was also under the warming blanket. This got my temperature up to 96 degree, so they decided to move me up stairs. When I got there, my new nurse was wonderfully awesome but really annoyed at the other nurses because my temperature was still only 94 degrees. So they put the warming blanket back on and took my temperature every 15 min. or so. After 4 or 5 hours my temperature finally went back up. The rest of the stay was less eventful which is good. Liam slept a whole lot the first day. I really didn't even see his eyes at all for awhile. The first day my kids came to visit, everyone was happy and smiley and excited. The second day every one was grouchy, and tired and I think ready for everything to go back to normal. My doctor is wonderful and came to see me every day even though he was off of work because his wife was having some kind of medical issue treated. I didn't ask details. He told me I could go home early if I wanted which I did. I thought just being at home would help my kids even if I wasn't doing anything but sitting on the couch. Although we are still having times where everyone just seems tired even though I am making sure they are getting plenty of rest.

So here's to having four! A new adventure.










3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Molly and Greg! We can't wait to meet Liam. Ali came up to me on Sunday and gave me a big hug and said - "my baby brother was born!" So sweet!

    Hope you are feeling well.

    Judi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Riley has been BEGGING to come see Liam. I told her once you get settled in we'll see if we can stop by sometime. Are you oK? Do you need me to help with anything? How fun 4 children now- it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! 4 kids! Thats wonderful! I hope things are getting back to normal for you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete