Tuesday, February 19, 2013

pinewood derby/ tiger scouts

Shadrach won his Tiger race in the Pinewood Derby!  He was soo proud and so excited.  I missed the race because I was at Ali Basketball game. :(  But I got there in time for the award ceremony. 
He was so excited that he got a trophy.  I have a big moral issue with trophy/medals.  I think you should have to actually work hard to get one.  I don't like it when everyone gets a trophy.  That is not how life is.  Sometimes you work hard, and you still don't get the trophy which is an experience I hope Shadrach gets to have as well.  However I think Shad probably put over 16 hours into making his car, and I don't think some of the other boys did that so I guess the trophy is ok. :)
His first 2 cars broke while Greg and him tried to cut it with the saw. Then he had to sand the body of the car before painting.  I think he sanded it every day for a week and a half.  Then he painted it.  The hardest part was sanding the axles and the wheels.  We did this for about two hours one day.  I think that was the big part that helped him win.  So in April, he gets to race it again in a bigger setting.  I don't expect him to do well.  This was our very first Pinewood derby, so we didn't know exactly what to do.  I am sure several other tiger scouts have older brothers who know more. 

2 comments:

  1. btw, you'll have to check out our blog to see ethan's lightenning mcqueen pinewood derby car...couldn't help thinking of Enoch :) He would have loved it!!!! miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete