Sunday, January 2, 2011

Snack Drawer-- It makes me happy.

I love my snack drawer for the kids. I often have several things going on when a kid tells me they are just dieing, and they need a snack. I got tired of the battle of telling them to wait until the next schedule "snack time" or meal. So I made a drawer of only healthy things that would make me happy if they ate them. I just use the drawer that I am supposed to put fruit in in the refrigerator because they can all reach it.
It takes time to put together but all the kids love to help me do it. This week we have Light Yogurt, blueberries, carrots, cheese cubes, grapes, broccoli, and apples. I put them all in small serving in plastic bags. I feel bad about using so many plastic bags, but I think it is worth it so my kids get to grab a quick healthy snack on their own with out me. The Blueberries and yogurt always go first. The vegetables often go last but they still get eaten. Enoch LOVES carrots and broccoli and I think it is because of the snack drawer. They are only allowed to have ONE at a time! If you let them they will eat 8 bags of snacks ( even though they are healthy) and then eat no dinner which is a whole new problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment